Sunday, July 10, 2011

Central American Sampler

What would be my most extended stay in El Salvador were the 3 days in Juayua.  Pronounced ´who-why-you-uh¨, that took me awhile to get used to.  Anyways not that it was a huge adventure town, it just was a really pleasant town with wonderful people and food.  It was known for its weekend food festival and I had to check it out.  My kind of stop after a volcano trek and lake swim.  I tried to sample a variety of food with my favorites being papusas and fried yuca with chicharron served in corn husks.  The town was smaller than most I´d been to but it was not lacking anything in terms of character or things to do.  I have to say the people of this city were incredibly friendly and hospitable.  My first day in town I´d had 4 conversations over 10 minutes with strangers.  They were very patient with my broken Spanish and were generally interested in me and what I was up to, it was incredibly refreshing.  I also needed to go to the local market and buy produce for meals.  In addition to what I purchased I left with a free onion and 4 free medium sized tomatoes.  I don´t remember the last time I´d recieved anything free as a tourist in this area.  Really was a great atmosphere.
A shot of the central park fountain.
The cathedral in town.  I always take a picture of the city cathedral, it´s just habit now. 
Just an overview of a park corner, compare with a later photo.
A typical street in town, street murals like the one on the right could be found down nearly every street.











I know I came here to see the people and food festival but I´d heard of a 7 waterfalls hike and of course went for it.  It was a hot and humid 4 to 5 hour hike beginning in a coffee plantation then through a jungle forest with scattered river crossings and waterfall sightings.  Our guide was a local and with him was a pack of 4 small dogs that would dart in and out of the path.  The first few times they caught me off guard as I would hear this rustling in the bushes and be wondering what is coming at me and then of course it´s this tiny dog.  The dogs were troopers, climbing up and down rocks, hills, mud, everything we did.  This hike is relatively unknown in regards to travel destination but I think that may change due to so many great photo ops.  The trail itself isn´t more than a foot path with branches swept aside.  At two sections we climbed down using nothing more than a rope tied to a tree.  Not complaining but the lack of development was very obvious.

 One of the waterfalls seen along the trail.
 Climbing down with the rope.
Another waterfall seen along the way.  There were more than seven waterfalls actually.  It is termed that because one of the waterfalls is comprised of 7 falls to make one.
The last waterfall with pool to swim in at the base.  Also my shower for the day.
















As mentioned this place has a weekend food festival I was interested in seeing.  During the festival, tents went up on every side of the park and continued down a block or two.  People brought in grills and ovens and put on a cooking show.  Plenty of chicken, pork, beef, deer, rabbit as well as seafood.  Steaks, ribs, sausage, there was just too much to try, my mouth is watering now thinking of this place again.  Lots of local food as well. Vegetables too.  One such I tried were fried yuca dumplings, when covered with syrup they taste very close to french toast.

Tents set up around for people to cook and eat during the festival.  Compared to the previous picture.











In addition to the food, the tents were also used for people to sell good.  It would be like putting Walmart under tents and throwing in authentic crafts too.  It was quite the ordeal for two days.  My hostel owner told me it is a celebration and just weekend tradition for the town.  Coffee plantation workers come in from the countryside and this is their opportunity to buy items they might need while also enjoying a good meal.  Often the workers are treated by their boss to some home cooked meals in addition to what is offered at the festival.  Sounds like a great idea to me, quite the employment perk. I thoroughly enjoyed my time here, the food, people, and hike.  It would be sad to go but I was on my way out and headed through San Salvador to Nicaragua.  I spent one day in San Salvador visiting two interesting anthropology and modern art museums. Though my favorite sight was the Monumento Al Salvador Del Mundo.  It is located in central San Salvador in a large roundabout.

I think I´m sitting somewhat awkward.  Maybe because there are 10 police in the area and me.  Maybe because it´s a policeman taking my picture.  I was also worried about what is culturally appropriate when taking this picture.  Nevertheless got my photo and quite the monument it is.  Would be my last venture in El Salvador before taking a bus out the following morning to Nicaragua. Short but sweet week in El Salvador.  Each city and country I´m wanting more time to enjoy and explore but I have to keep moving to see everything.  As I sampled foods the day before in the festival so too I feel that I´m sampling the countries of Central America.  Definitely fun, definitely seeing some of the best things to see, yet still feels like a sampler when spending only short amounts of time.  Well time to run off home, getting late and its best not to walk around at night alone, which I do too often. Lates.

No comments:

Post a Comment